University Marketing and Communications

Study and Research Regulations:

    • The student has to follow up an approved research project extending to a period not less than:
      • 33 months ( ) in case of PhD degree (or 36 month for part- time students
      • 18 months in case of the MSc degree (or 24 months for part- time students).
      • 48 months( ) is the maximum period of time allowed for completion of PhD research work in case of full time students (or 60 month for part- time students).30 months is the maximum period allowed for full time MSc students(or 42 months for part time MSc students).
      • In certain special cases,( ) the program Council can present a recommendation to the Academic Affairs Committee for the extension of the prescribed periods of time.
      • In all cases, the student has to send the required extension form through his chief supervisor and the concerned program Research Council, within a period not less than three months, before the end of his approved registration period of time.
    • Students have to carry out studies in a continuous manner, except when a recommendation for a break is received from the concerned program Council and the approval of the Academic Committee.
      • A registered student has to be ready for continuation of his/ her assigned research work in S.A.S during the prescribed period of time, or the periods stipulated by the principle supervisor.
      • The registered student has to give his permanent address, where he/she can be contacted, to the program Registrar. Any change in this permanent address has to be reported to the Coordination Council Registrar and S.A.S Registrar.
      • A student who has to absent himself from S.A.S, in an outside engagement, which is part of his/her approved program has to apply for approval of the principle supervisor, the concerted program Coordination Council and the Academic Committee or any other relevant postgraduate committee. By all means the period of absence should not exceed nine months, during which the student has to be in contact with the principle supervisor.
      • The supervisor can present a recommendation to the special program Council to rescind the registration of the student, whose performance is below the acceptable standard.